Terms & Conditions
2. All material contained on this site (including its selection and arrangement) is protected by copyright or other proprietary rights which belong to us and our licensors. All rights are fully reserved.
3. You are not permitted to change, store, copy, publish, sell or distribute any such material without our prior consent in writing.
4. Where you transmit material to us (‘User Content’) you grant us the non-exclusive, transferrable, sub-licensable, royalty-free worldwide right in all media now known or hereinafter invented to distribute such material without any further obligation to you. In this context, you are one of our ‘licensors’.
5. You agree to abide by our User Guidelines and not to use the Service in any manner not expressly permitted by the Terms.
6. You may not link to this site, nor frame it, without our express permission.
7. You will not reverse engineer, decompile, copy or adapt any software or other code or scripts that form part of our website nor attempt to transmit to or via our website any information that contains a virus, worm, trojan, or other harmful or disruptive component.
8. We may provide links to sites owned and operated by third parties. We do not endorse the content of such sites (nor does the absence of links imply non-endorsement) nor can we be liable for non-availability of these sites, or for any loss or damage incurred by you as a result of visiting such sites which is undertaken at your own risk.
9. You agree that your use of this site is at your sole risk and is provided by us on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis. Except to the extent that non-excludable warranties or consumer guarantees are implied into this contract, we give no warranties in connection with the site. This disclaimer extends to warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for any particular purpose or non-infringement of third party rights. To the extent that it is lawfully possible to do so, we make no warranty that:
a) the website and/or any information will meet your requirements;
b) your access to and use of the site will be error-free;
c) any errors or inaccuracies will be corrected.
Further, if your use of the website results in the need for servicing or replacing equipment or data, this will not be at our risk or expense.
10. To the extent that Australian law implies non-excludable consumer guarantees into this contract, our liability is limited, at our option, to the resupply of the affected service or payment of the cost of having the service resupplied to you
11. Subject to the foregoing, you agree to indemnify us in respect of any and all losses and expenses (including legal fees) incurred by us in connection with any breach by you of these terms and conditions.
13. Occasionally we may, according to our discretion, make changes to the service or to these Terms. We will make reasonable efforts to communicate such changes to the public, but it remains your responsibility to regularly review the website to determine if any such changes have occurred. You are deemed to have agreed to comply with any amended Terms.
14. Any legal action or proceedings arising between us in relation to this website shall be governed by the law of Western Australia and you submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Western Australian courts.
Please respect intellectual property rights. The following, for example, are not permitted:
1. copying, reproducing, recording, or making available to the public any part of the Service or content delivered to you via the Service, or otherwise making any use of the Service which is not expressly permitted under these Terms;
2. circumventing any technology used by us, our licensors, sub-contractors or any third party to protect content accessible through the Service;
3. renting or leasing any part of the Service;
4. circumventing any territorial restrictions;
5. removing or altering any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property notices contained on or provided through the Service.
Our participation guidelines aim to ensure that the Lives of Substance website is inclusive and welcoming.
The Service offers social networking features, including the ability to post comments, share content, and make certain information about you public. Please think carefully about what you make public on this website. Remember that shared or publicly available information may be reused by other users of the Service and further disseminated across the internet. You are solely responsible for your choice to make any material public on the Service.
To post comments you must supply a valid email address. This will not be published on the website. Moderators will ensure that comments are relevant and appropriate, and may take any steps they deem appropriate to ensure content meets the site’s participation guidelines, described below.
Please respect us, our contributors and other users of the Service. Do not engage in any activity on the Service or upload content (including usernames) that:
1. is threatening, offensive, defamatory, abusive, pornographic or obscene;
2. is intended to or does harass or bully other users;
3. is illegal, or intended to promote or commit an illegal act of any kind, including but not limited to, violations of our intellectual property rights, privacy rights or proprietary rights or such rights of a third party;
4. includes personal data of third parties or is intended to solicit such personal data;
5. includes malicious content such as viruses, malware, trojan horses, or otherwise interferes with access to the Service;
6. impersonates or misrepresents your affiliation with another user, person or entity, or is otherwise fraudulent, false, deceptive, or misleading;
7. involves the transmission of unsolicited mass mailing (‘spam’), junk mail, or similar;
8. involves commercial or sales activities, such as advertising, contests, sweepstakes, or pyramid schemes;
9. promotes commercial products or services;
10. interferes with the Service, tampers with or attempts to probe, scan, or test for vulnerabilities in the Service or the www.livesofsubstance.org computer systems or network, or breaches any of our security or authentication measures; or
11. conflicts with this agreement, as determined by us.
Any comments seen to breach the participation guidelines set out above will be rejected. You will not be directly contacted if your comment has been rejected. Queries or comments about moderation will not be published.
Principles of participation
To ensure the dialogue on Lives of Substance remains relevant and engaging for all users, please observe five simple principles. Our moderators apply these principles and the participation guidelines above when reviewing your comments.
1. We welcome debate and dissent, but personal attacks (on moderators, other users or any individual) or persistent trolling will not be tolerated.
2. Please be respectful of the views and beliefs of others. We understand that people often hold strong views about certain issues, but we may reject or remove any content that others might find offensive or threatening.
3. Keep it relevant. We know that conversations can be wide-ranging, but if you submit commentary wholly unrelated to the original topic (‘off-topic’), it may be rejected in order to keep the discussion on track.
4. Maintain a measured tone and don’t shout. Any comments submitted in ALL-CAPS, or similar, may be rejected. Also be aware that you may be misunderstood, so try to be clear. Tone of voice (sarcasm, humour and so on) doesn’t always translate well in writing, so err on the side of caution.
5. The platform is ours, but the conversation belongs to everybody.We want this to be a welcoming space for intelligent discussion, so if you spot something problematic on our website, please report it.